- Establishes policies for the district; (Click here to view Board Policies)
- Sets short and long-term goals for the school system;
- Selects and evaluates the superintendent of schools;
- Holds the superintendent accountable for accomplishing district goals;
- Works closely with the administrators, school staff, and the community to set district goals.
If a citizen has questions or requests for the board, but cannot attend a Board meeting, he or she may use a letter of inquiry. Letters should be addressed to:
Derby USD 260 Board of Education
c/o Clerk of the Board
120 East Washington
Derby, KS 67037
For more information, please click on "Patrons".
All action of the board takes place in public session and requires a motion, a second, and four affirmative votes. Each member is an equal representative of the public interest. All members, including presiding officers, may make motions and vote. The law records any abstention as a "no" vote unless the member leaves the proceedings and is therefore counted as "not present."
The Board may adjourn to an executive session, in accordance with Kansas Open Meetings Law, to discuss personnel matters, employee contracts, negotiation issues, certain legal matters pending before the board, issues which affect specific students, issues regarding safety measures, and preliminary discussion related to the acquisition or sale of real estate (KSA 75-4319). Any action resulting from discussion in the executive session must be made during a public session when the Board reconvenes.
If you are interested in becoming a board member please click here for more information.