The Process for Success Committee (PFS) began the task in March of 2016 of reviewing the school district's current facilities, looking at enrollment projections and assessing the best way to meet the current and long range facility needs of all students in an efficient and effective manner. The PFS committee is made up of community members, parents and staff who have invested significant time and effort reviewing information. (See PFS Committee Volunteers HERE) The committee put together a facilities master plan proposal outlining needs broken down by facility with elementary schools, middle schools, the high school, athletic facilities, maintenance and transportation renovations. The committee defined the four primary facilities master plan goals as:
1. Safety and security at all district facilities, including storm shelters and ADA accessibility
2. Addressing deferred maintenance
3. Efficiency and growth
4. Curriculum and program equity
Community and staff input meetings to discuss the Facilities Master Plan proposal during the months of January and February, along with an online feedback form, provided valuable feedback on the Facilities Master Plan proposal. The PFS committee reconvened on February 9 to review feedback and establish the next steps in both short-term and long-term facilities planning within our district. The PFS asked that sub-committees reconvene to determine if there are additional options and do further research regarding school sizes and academic needs to ensure a Facilities Master Plan proposal is developed that reflects community needs while being a good steward of taxpayer dollars. The committee is working on a modified facilities master plan to present to the community at a tentatively scheduled meeting, pending Board of Education direction, on April 24. The PFS committee is focused on student safety as well as quality educational space and environment for our students.
Upcoming PFS Steering Committee Meetings:
• March 16, 6:30PM, Derby North Middle School. Click HERE for meeting Powerpoint.
• April 6, 6:30PM, Derby North Middle School
Upcoming PFS Sub-Committee Meetings:
• March 1, 5:00PM, Elementary Education Specifications and Elementary Sub-Committees at Park Hill Elementary
• March 2, 6:30PM, High School Sub-Committee at Derby High School
The PFS Committee will provide updates/discussion at the following Board of Education to keep the community up-to-date on discussions.
• March 27, 6:30PM, City Hall
• April 24, 6:30PM, City Hall
• June 12, 6:30PM, City Hall
Upcoming community meeting to present modified facilities master plan:
• May 4, 6:30PM, Derby High School
*Meeting date is tentative pending Board of Education direction on April 24
Click HERE for more information on Process for Success/Facilities Master Plans.